Friday, July 9, 2010

With Little Fanfare


Unfortunately when you do some hit and run portraits as we did in Virginia, you don't always get to spend a lot of time with your subjects.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I'm conflicted about knowing the person better before I shoot and not knowing them at all.  If I don't know a person very well, I don't find myself trying to force the image to fit their mold. On the other hand it has proven that at least having a lengthy conversation with the victim, I mean, subject, I can break the ice and really draw the person out, based on what I have discovered.  

This is Peter. Peter O'Shaugnessy, to be more precise.  An artist himself, he works with his hands and steel and fire.  His craft, Blacksmith. 

I haven't known him very long but I can say, I've never seen him with his shoes on. I asked him if he would mind releasing his hair from the ponytail he usually wears.  From past experience, I have found, not only does the hair come down but the inhibitions along with it. A much more relaxed poser was he.  

Thanks Peter for trusting me with your face.

No comments: