Saturday, July 10, 2010

Peace, Love and Longevity


Today, my good friend John Frangoulis, married the love of his life, Christine Sanford-Frangoulis. John is a fine photographer himself but somehow he has become the president of the Jerry Tovo fan club. Not only is he the President, but its only member.  Some time back he hinted around about taking an engagement foto of this couple.  While he and Christine had been dating, I had no clue that they were the couple.  I tried playing him off because he knows I don't do more than one person in a portrait except for rare occasions. Later that week they were more subtle hints about weddings and engagements and rings and I'm still oblivious as to what he's going on about. Well finally, during a moment of complete repose, it strikes me, he's been talking about he and Christine. Talk about living in a fog.

Of course, I was delighted to do their engagement picture for them, though I must admit a bit of apprehension because I really like the focus of shooting just one person to a session.

So today was their day and a delightful day it was.  They were married at the incredible St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox church in the Central West End of the city. I have never been inside but I immediately knew I wanted to get in later to photograph it. It's stunningly beautiful.  The ceremony was so very intriguing in that has a great deal of similarity to the Catholic church in which I was raised but they seem to have held much more to tradition, something I found very enticing. I have felt for some time that churches have sold out tradition to keep the young (spoiled and easily bored) people coming. That is a conversation unto itself.

As so many times in the past, I have rambled astray from my original intent. 

The loving couple will reside in the house John bought in Ottowa Illinois as an escape from the rigors of city life in Chicago.  

We all wish the best for them and bid them, Peace, Love, Laughter and Longevity.




8 comments:

Kris. said...

He is certainly not the only member of the fan club. Good luck to them, and you!

Jerry Tovo said...

Well OK now, we're up to two.

Kris, I'm sure John, the Pres., will agree. You are now officially the new members chairperson. Thanks, I know you'll do a fine job.

Should we charge to belong? I'm getting old and my Social Security isn't going to be enough to keep this blog going.

Thanks

dianne rodgers said...

Who do I have to know to be in this club?!!
~Di

Jerry Tovo said...

Well, I think if you personally know either of the current two members they can send you an application along with a SASE so you can mail you check and/or money order for the first years membership.

Yahoo, we're potentially up to three members now.

LaurieASK said...

Why you continue to be a curmudgeon when you probably have more fans than many photographers I will never know. And while I count myself among your loyal followers- I also want to point out that your refusal to shoot two people in a single image has not kept any of the images that have come from those people that have finegeled their way past the rule- my mother and Nancy's portrait as but another example.

Jerry Tovo said...

Now Laurie, I believe you promised not to tell anyone I did that for you. Now combined with John and Christine, everyone will know.

I don't wanna do more than one person, it changes the lighting, it force a different mindset and at this stage in my life I deserve to shoot what and how I want. Stress free, well almost, photography.

Thank you for your kind thoughts and comments.

Unknown said...

Adele and Kevin want to become fans. Is there an elaborate hazing ritual and screening process? Looks like a fun and rollicking group. Jerry's the best! Really enjoy these great faces.

Jerry Tovo said...

The membership is booming. I only hope that I am worthy.

Kevin they will be no hazing for you. Adele is another story. You'll need to leave town for a week. We'll bring her to you when you return.

Welcome Adele.