Monday, March 9, 2009

Devastated




Once I found that I hadn't won the "blog" contest, I was totally demoralized and couldn't bring myself to post anymore. Not. Actually, I found myself totally engrossed in a new paper and printer combination that has changed my entire approach as to how I print my portraits. I had been caught in a black hole of angst trying to make the old combination print more consistently. I finally called an old cohort from Kodak who is now in a pivotal position with Epson and begged for help. It's not that I'm a total dolt when it comes to color management, I did speak it with some authority in a previous life but I couldn't nail this down. Nonetheless he told me to go straight to the new Exhibition Fibre paper and rest assured my problems would be all but solved. I hate to admit it but he pretty much nailed it. I'm rambling again. During that time my blog suffered from the lack of any new production, so, after several calls from friends who insisted that I return to my post and with a renewed sense of drive, I went back to the Pulitzer Museum, which is right behind my studio and I worked the geometric shapes that grab me every time I shoot around there. Something has gotten into my psyche, much like the Ice Carvings, I'm drawn, more and more, to the abstracts.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you rock (figuratively) between photographs of living breathing laughing human beings and abstract, textural shape driven compositions. Alas, you are human and are just trying to find a little balance and, in your case, capturing a visual record of both for the rest of us who do not have your talent.

Jerry Tovo said...

Yeah, that's what I was thinkin too.

At Mary and Paul's Place said...

What kind of printer are you currently using??

Anonymous said...

Jerry...those Pulitzer shots are FANTASTIC! I respond to geometric forms anyway, but that #3 is my very favorite.
Also, meant to mention the portraits of Jeigh Singleton: they're beautiful.

Majorie Hoeltzel

Anonymous said...

Had to tell you your ice shots and "Devastated" stuff makes me tingly.
Gorgeous.


Stephanie