Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Expanding the Neighborhood

Well, I've gone on about the neighborhood and my love of rural architecture, so now I range a bit out of the hood and find roughly simple architecture within a long stones throw of my studio. It has the same simplicity but with the time worn and weathered look that comes from an era of disrespect and ruin. I've been eying this location off and on for some time. By the same token, I've been dabbling in a technique called HDR. This may be the first time I've gotten close to it's full potential. As I look at the proof of this page, I can see it is another image that can only truly be appreciated at one hundred percent of the original file.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the photo concept and composition, but I don't understand the effect. It doesn't add anything to the image.

Jerry Tovo said...

Thanks for your comment and my guess is that you might want to see the original to appreciate what technique brings.
I think a lot of photographers would like to take their work more toward a painterly effect and view it closer to gallery art. There's a whole bunch of notions attached, unfortunately this comment box won't let me expound on them appropriately. This technique, to me, brings a sense of uniqueness you might not ordinarily find in a straightforward photographic image. You're right though, the image itself has some interest of it's own. I'm very found of the symetry and the composition, the cropping and color.

Anonymous said...

I drive by this building a lot and I find it perplexing. Is "Cristo" a reference to Christo, the contemporary installation artist who wraps giant buildings?
Or does it mean Christ? Why? What is he saying???!! But I do like the shape of the building.