Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Everybody's Doing It... plus one more



 plus one....


















Ever since Apple came out with the iPhone, maybe even before, photographers have taken to using it for some niche art opportunities. I, for one, have not taken to it as yet. It is not for the shaky of hand. The shutter release is in a very inconvenient location and add the relatively low resolution and less than stellar lens and I'm pretty much out of luck. Undaunted by my ineptitudes, I keep trying.  Today I found, that if I dink around long enough on the computer I can eventually produce something of interest. This is the recently renovated Continental Building in the Grand Arts Center, just down from my studio. As I look at it, I see maybe, an Orson Wells vintage property or maybe Superman or even Buck Rogers or as a friend suggested, maybe even early Gotham, Batman. Whatever I'm seeing, I like it.  I had this friend who's motto was, "If you shoot enough, you'll eventually come up with something." Got it.

Let me add this quote from Elliot Erwitt.

"To me, photography is an art of observation. It's about finding something interesting in an ordinary place... I've found it has little to do with the things you see and everything to do with the way you see them."


Since the original post, I've come around to the western view of the Continental Building and added a different perspective, both in angle and style.  Somebody stop me.

3 comments:

LaurieASK said...

While I am dismayed that you have fallend into the "my phone is a camera" plot to destroy photography I do find the image wonderful- I think an equally matched quote from Helen Keller also "illuminates" the image "Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence..."

Anonymous said...

Have you tried HIstomatic or some of the other iPhone photography aps?

MB

Jerry Tovo said...

No, I'm not familiar with Histomatic. I have downloaded a Photoshop like app but it was very fundamental and frankly a little silly.

I'll check it out.