Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Karsh_Harsh

There have been several people to compare my portrait work with that of Yousef Karsh and I am greatly flattered. Recently I had to edit through a host of other images and I came upon this of my old friend, Marcel. In my usual A.D.D. manor, I got lost in his image and forgot the original intent of my search. Cropping so closely into the chiseled old face of this Master seemed a bit harsh, but it's oh so dramatic. Now I find myself feeling a little guilty because I haven't been to visit Marcel of late and I'm sure he could use some company. Maybe this is the motivation I need.

6 comments:

JWNagel said...

I am constantly impressed with the 8 x 10 contact print quality you are able to achieve. You haven't lost anything by switching to digital.

Anonymous said...

You know that you are a splendid photographer- not much of a language maven- but a superb image maker- A.D.D. Manor is a house where Attention Deficient Disorder people live- or did you mean A.D.D. manner as in acting with attention deficient disorder?

Jerry Tovo said...

I have a really good friend who is constantly saying, "Shoot more and write less". Oh wait, that was you. You'll have to forgive the manor in which I sometimes write.

Anonymous said...

...we continue to be amazed at your work. We went to see the Karsh exhibit at the Art Institute last Saturday. It was magnificent, of course. But some of your work is right up there - catching souls in high res.

whn

Jay Fram said...

I like your black and white portraits a lot, Jerry. I wouldn't mind learning more about your process, digital, etc. I am lately shooting a lot of film. So, what was he looking at?

Jerry Tovo said...

1. Thank you very much

2. When I finally establish that technique and we become partners, I'd be happy to share that with you. Frankly, I thought I had it Mastered. I've been doing it in a way no one else had thought of but it keeps evolving and of late I've comes across a revelation and I'm converting in an entirely different mode.
3. Why?
4. I guess he was looking at the lens. At least that's what I asked him to do.